Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance Mid-Year Meeting Features Announcement of Mid-Year Economic Results, Keynote by Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam, and Award Presentations
The Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance hosted its Mid-Year Luncheon, presented by FPL, on Monday, May 15, 2017 to an audience of nearly 600 members and guests at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six in Fort Lauderdale.
Alliance President/CEO Bob Swindell and Chair Bill White, Co-Founder and Principal of Compass Office Solutions, reported the following results of the Alliance’s ongoing work as the official public/private partnership for economic development in Broward County: nearly $207 million in capital investment by Alliance-assisted companies in the first two quarters of the Alliance fiscal year; 1,075 new jobs and 1,688 retained jobs. Companies assisted included:
- Apotex Pharmaceuticals, a Canadian pharmaceutical company, is investing $184 million in its new, 380,000 square-foot U.S. headquarters in Miramar, adding 150 new jobs and retaining 461.
- Bayview Financial, a financial services company, is adding 200 new jobs and retaining 1,066 jobs in Fort Lauderdale.
- Royal Caribbean is making a capital investment of $900,000 in its service and warehouse facility in Weston, adding 180 new jobs and retaining 45 jobs.
- Triangle Services is investing $4.8 million in Fort Lauderdale in a facility specializing in airplane baggage handling and cleaning, as well as office cleaning and other services, adding 300 new jobs.
- United Data Technologies, one of the 50 fastest growing technology companies in the U.S., is making a $16.5 million capital investment in Miramar, adding 142 new jobs and retaining 116.
“Today’s new job announcements, low current unemployment rate of 4.0 percent, and year-over-year private sector job growth of 25,500 (3.6%) is confirmation that our economy is one of the strongest in the state and nation,” said Bob Swindell, President and CEO of the Alliance. “The Alliance is hard at work year-round telling the story of our community’s premier business location status. Companies continue to see the competitive advantages of locating and expanding high wage, high value industries in Broward County. We will continue to advance our county-wide collaboration as a community in developing and providing a talented workforce and creating a favorable business climate.”
The luncheon’s keynote speaker was State of Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Adam Putnam, who declared his candidacy for Governor of the state of Florida this week.
The Alliance also presented its annual World Class Faculty and Economic Development Partner of the Year Awards:
- The 2017 Alliance World Class Faculty honoree is Dr. Bob Speth, in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences of the College of Pharmacy at Nova Southeastern University. Dr. Speth a leader in the fields of hypertension and radioactive brain receptor research as well as a leader in preparing the next generation of researchers. Dr. Speth’s research projects have received more than $1 million in grant funding by organizations including the National Institutes of Health, American Heart Association and Howard Hughes Medical Institute. He has published more than 200 scholarly works during his more than 40-year career in academia including one study which could eventually reduce the incidence of heart disease. To view the award video, please click here or visit the Alliance's Facebook page.
- The 2017 Economic Development Partner of the Year is the Marine Industries Association of South Florida (MIASF). MIASF is the largest marine trade organization in the Southeast United States dedicated to promoting, protecting, and growing the 110,000 jobs in Broward County and 136,000 jobs regionally in marine businesses. Since 1961, the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (FLIBS) has evolved under MIASF’s ownership and visionary leadership into an unparalleled economic force that hosts more than 100,000 visitors from more than 52 countries. MIASF collaborates with the Alliance in hosting the Annual International Marine Hub Luncheon held during FLIBS, and has partnered with the Alliance in establishing South Florida as a global marine research Hub. To view the award video, please click here or visit the Alliance's Facebook page.
Additionally, the results of the Alliance’s sixth annual Executive Survey were announced. The survey, conducted by Kaufman Rossin polls area executives on their perception of the business climate in Broward County and their plans for the next twelve months in terms of hiring and other investments. A results infographic is available at www.gflalliance.org/executivesurvey.
Sponsors of the meeting included: presenting sponsor: FPL; platinum sponsors: Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, JM Family Enterprises, Inc., South Florida Business Journal, South Florida Business & Wealth, Zimmerman; gold sponsors: AutoNation, Greenspoon Marder and Memorial Healthcare System and silver sponsors: Fibernet Direct, the City of Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, Kaufman Rossin and Starmark.
The Alliance’s Annual Meeting and dinner will take place October 19, 2017 at the Signature Grand.