Technology in Greater Fort Lauderdale
Work in the Cloud. Live in the Sun. TM
Why are so many technology companies locating in Greater Fort Lauderdale?
• Numerous IT degrees and programs provide a continuous graduating talent available for recruitment
• Greater Fort Lauderdale is ranked among the top 50 U.S. tech talent markets
• Nearly 80,000 information & communications technologies workers are employed in the region
• South Florida has a long history of technology innovation including being home to the 1st IBM PC and the 1st smartphone, the Simon
• Florida is the 3rd largest state for high-tech establishments
• Florida is the 3rd largest exporter of high-tech products
Please click here for information on South Florida TechGateway™ or visit TechGateway.org to see a map of some of the IT companies in South Florida.
A Diverse IT Cluster
Throughout the Greater Fort Lauderdale region, innovative IT companies are making their mark on the technology sector while gaining new customers in their chosen markets. For example, Magic Leap, a developer of novel human computing interfaces and software, has received $1.3 billion in investment financing, led by companies such as Google, Qualcomm, Legendary Pictures, Alibaba, and others, ranking it as one of the biggest venture capital deals ever.
Other leading players in Greater Fort Lauderdale include:
• ARM, recently purchased Sunrise Micro Devices in Deerfield Beach, and will continue to grow in Deerfield Beach, which is home to members of ARM’s Wireless Connectivity Business Unit. ARM is the world’s leading semiconductor IP company, developing and licensing technology at the heart of many of the digital electronics devices sold each year, from smartphones and tablets to sensors and servers.
• Citrix, a “homegrown” IT company that is transforming how people, businesses and IT work and collaborate in the cloud era. In 2014, Citrix GoToAssist was named the global market share leader among remote support solutions for the sixth year in a row by leading analyst firm IDC. With market-leading cloud, collaboration, networking and virtualization technologies, Citrix powers mobile work styles and cloud services, making complex enterprise IT simpler and more accessible for more than 400,000 enterprises. Since its founding in Fort Lauderdale in 1989, Citrix has grown to $3.14 billion annual revenue in 2014.
• e-Builder, a pioneer in fully integrated, cloudbased construction program management software.
• Eyecast, a global leader in cloud-based video surveillance service for residential and business customers that recently added 100 employees to its Sunrise facility.
• iCare.com LLC (iCare), a Fort Lauderdale company that provides secure access to cloud-based electronic health records (EHR) solutions.
• Peak 10 Data Center Solutions, which has a centrally located 66,000-square-foot data center – one of the region’s largest Category 5 rated commercial facilities.
• Prolexic Technologies, a provider of cyber security services for global enterprises and government agencies. The Fort Lauderdale company is now part of Akamai, a global leader in content delivery network services.
• ReStockIt.com, an online retailer of restaurant, janitorial and office supplies.
• ServusXchange, LLC, a Pompano Beach company whose flagship product, MyOnlineToolbox, brings business innovations to contractors who repair and remodel homes.
• Ultimate Software, a leading cloud provider of people management solutions with headquarters in Weston. Ultimate’s awardwinning UltiPro delivers HR, payroll, talent, compensation, and time and labor management solutions that seamlessly connect people with the information and resources they need to work more effectively. In 2014, Ultimate was ranked #20 on FORTUNE’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For; ranked #8 on Forbes magazine’s list of the 100 Most Innovative Growth Companies; and recognized as a “Leader” in Nucleus Research’s HCM Technology Value Matrix.
A Strong Cloud/Mobile Cluster
As worldwide demand grows for advanced mobile devices and applications, Greater Fort Lauderdale is home to a cluster of cloud technology/mobile communications companies serving consumer, business and governmental customers. Key players include:
• Motorola, whose Plantation facility developed an advanced two-way portable radio for use by police, fire rescue and other first responders. The group is part of Motorola’s Enterprise Mobility Solutions division.
• BlackBerry, a worldwide designer and manufacturer of wireless communications devices and services, has a major facility in Sunrise.
• FoxConn, which manufactures wireless communication, computer and consumer electronics products in its Sunrise facility.
For more information about the technology industry focus area of Software Publishing in Greater Fort Lauderdale, please click on "Start Prezi" below and then click on the right arrow at the bottom of the image to scroll through the presentation.
For more information about the technology industry focus area of Custom Computer Programming in Greater Fort Lauderdale, please click on "Start Prezi" below and then click on the right arrow at the bottom of the image to scroll through the presentation.
For more information regarding technology business location and expansion information, please contact the Alliance's technology expert, David Coddington, at 954-627-0123, or via email at email@example.com.