Technology in Greater Fort Lauderdale
Work in the Cloud. Live in the Sun. ®
Why are so many technology companies locating in Greater Fort Lauderdale?
• Numerous IT degrees and programs provide a continuous graduating talent available for recruitment
• Greater Fort Lauderdale is ranked among the top 50 U.S. tech talent markets
• Nearly 80,000 information & communications technologies workers are employed in the region
• South Florida has a long history of technology innovation including being home to the 1st IBM PC and 1st smartphone, the Simon
• Florida is the 3rd largest state for high-tech establishments
• Florida is the 3rd largest exporter of high-tech products
Please click here or visit TechGateway.org to see a map of some of the tech companies in South Florida.
A Diverse Tech Cluster
Throughout the Greater Fort Lauderdale region, innovative IT companies are making their mark on the technology sector while gaining new customers in their chosen markets. Key players include:
- ARM, which acquired local startup Sunrise Micro Devices, Inc., in Deerfield Beach, is the world’s leading semiconductor IP company, developing and licensing technology at the heart of many of digital electronics devices.
- Chewy,an online retailer of pet food and other pet-related products is a subsidiary of PetSmart, located in Dania Beach.PetSmart purchased the company for $3 billion in 2017.
- Citrix, a homegrown IT company with market-leading cloud, collaboration, networking and virtualization technologies. Founded in 1989, Citrix now has $2.97 billion in annual revenue.
- Club Domains, LLC, the registry for “.CLUB” online domains. Based in Fort Lauderdale, the company offers “.CLUB” names for businesses, nonprofits and individuals.
- Cybraics,a Fort Lauderdale company that provides advanced security analytics and an AI platform delivered as a service.
- DataCore Software, a software-defined storage (SDS) software company based in Fort Lauderdale.
- e-Builder, a pioneer in fully integrated, cloud-based construction program management software based in Plantation that was acquired by Trimble for $500 million in 2018.
- ERP Maestro,a leader in SAP security solutions based in Plantation.
- Flexential (formerly Peak 10), which has a centrally located 66,000-square-foot data center – one of the region's largest Category 5 rated commercial facilities.
- Ford Engineering, which acquired Blackberry’s Sunrise R&D operation for its “connected cars” initiative and expects to have up to 200 software engineers based in Sunrise.
- Hotwire Communications, one of the nation’s leading fiber optics telecommunications providers, opened its new headquarters, the Hotwire Technology Center, in Fort Lauderdale. The firm invested more than $27 million in the local community and created more than 375 new jobs.
- MD Live, a telehealth service provider based in Sunrise that has attracted investment from companies including units of Cigna and HCSC.
- Microsoft Latin America, regional headquarters for the technology giant, has been located in Fort Lauderdale since 1994. Latin America is Microsoft’s fastest-growing market, serving more than 46 countries and territories, all managed from its offices in Fort Lauderdale.
- MotionPoint, based in Coconut Creek, offers a turnkey platform that provides website synchronization, translation, localization, and management services for clients.
- Motorola Solutions, whose Plantation facility developed an advanced two-way portable radio for use by police, fire rescue and other first responders.
- OZ (formerly AAJ Technologies), a Fort Lauderdale company that helps clients develop and implement digital transformation strategies.
- ProcessMAP, a software and service provider in Sunrise that helps organizations manage safety and risk exposures.
- Prolexic Technologies, a provider of cyber security services for global enterprises and government agencies. The Hollywood company is part of Akamai, a global leader in content delivery network services.
- ReStockIt.com, an online retailer of restaurant, janitorial and office supplies based in Davie.
- Sirius XM Radio, a publicly traded American broadcasting company that provides three satellite radio and online radio services operating in the United States, has its research and development facility in Deerfield Beach. The facility is responsible for most of the technology developed for communications between car and satellite.
- Synechron is one of the nation’s fastest-growing digital, business consulting and technology services providers with a major office in Sunrise. In 2017, the company received the Best Distributed Ledger
Technology Initiative of the Year by FTF News for its blockchain accelerators.
- TradeStation is an online broker-dealer offering a variety of services from its headquarters office in Plantation.
For more information regarding technology business location and expansion information, please contact the Alliance's technology specialist, David Coddington, at 954-627-0123 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.